Monday 3 July 2017

Writing challenge

Sharon's Challenge for myself & Chris

Up to 1000 words using the prompt;
a new boyfriend or girlfriend, an anonymous letter, and some terrible advice

~~~~~~~~~~

“I knew I shouldn't have taken Aunt Val’s advise!” Lorraine let out an exasperated sigh. “”Get back on the saddle, she says. Best way.”” Lorraine fumed at Tracy, taking a sip of her mug of coffee.

Tracy sighed too. Yet again Lorraine was getting her knockers in a twist. Everyone knew Lorraine had not given it long enough after James before she partnered up with Steve. Lorraine's welcomed the attention from Steve and succumbed to it without giving it a proper thought.

“How could Steve go off with Amanda like that? No thought to me in any way.” Tracy listened patiently to Lorraine ranting. “He didn’t even care about me. I blame Aunt Val. She said to go for it. “There’s plenty more fish in the sea”, she said. James was just so great, so perfect! I thought we’d be together forever.” Tracy thought that too. Well, everyone did! Lorraine and James were great for eachother. They met at University. James took a year out to go travelling. Lorraine took a year to go and work in her father’s company in America. They survived that year apart. Ten more years together, and James disappears!

Tracy sipped on her hot tea and gradually ate her Victoria Sponge, moist and light. Lorraine stared out of the cafe window to gaze at the sea. Silence fell between them. A comfortable silence. Two best friends enjoying time together in Cafe Heaven. Lorraine sips her black coffee and ignores her gluten free chocolate cake. Her appetite had vanished. Tracy looked, she noticed how sad Lorraine looked; vacant even. Even the red and white striped table cloth did nothing for Lorraine’s complexion.

Fourteen wonderful years together and no indication that anything was wrong. Lorraine had been to some amazing places to see James, as a Sales Rep for one of the leading major hotels. The only thing she had to pay for were the flights, and even they were massively discounted.

Their tea and coffee diminished, but the cake remained. “Are you going to eat that Lorraine?” Tracy asked, as Lorraine continued to stare out of the window. “Oh well, I’ll eat it then,” and she did just that. Every last crumb.

“Hello sweetheart I’m home,” James took off his jacket, hung it up on the oak coat hanger, and placed his briefcase on the chair under the large oak mirror above. He checked himself out, a brown haired handsome chap. “Yes, he still had the good looks at thirty-three!” he said to himself before walking down the hallway in his nine bedroomed mansion and opened the kitchen door. Nothing but the best wood. Within the kitchen was his beautiful glossy black haired wife, Michelle. She was by the AGA frying off a thick cut piece of steak, turned around, and smiled. They walked towards each other and hugged. He loved coming home to his wife and kissed her full on the lips. “How was your day darling?” he kissed her again.

“It was ok today. A few boring meetings before court. Preliminary proceedings before the full case begins. He’s so guilty, but I have to represent him. It’s taken a lot of work and a lot of favours to get the experts on my side. We’ll get him from murder to manslaughter.” she sighed.

“I’m sure you’ve done your best and will get the best result. You always do. How about we curl up on the sofa and watch a film tonight? Not long til our tenth wedding anniversary.”

“Not tonight James. I’m sorry, but I have so many reports to do. He’s not going to get manslaughter that easy. I still need to go through his files and come up with something. Diminished responsibility isn’t going to work. The jury will see right through him. I feel we’re losing them too! But I will be available for our anniversary. I promise!”

“Come here then and give me a kiss,” they held each other tighter. James couldn’t be happier and couldn't wait for his anniversary to the most beautiful woman he’d ever met. He knew hed done the right thing, at last! He can’t believe he’d gotten away with it all these years. Now, he was free to be with Michelle forever. Nothing was going to get in his way...

Dear Lorriaine,

    I met you once at a conference in Singapore about ten years ago. You blew me away with your effervescent smile. Unfortunately you were with James at the time. How I envied him! He didn’t deserve you! Absolutely no way! That was until I attended his wedding to Michelle. She’s a Solicitor from Bristol. They married in Mauritius when they were 23…

Lorraine broke down. What was she reading? She looked at the envelope, yes, it was for her, her name and address on it. What going on? She texted Tracy from her kitchen table. A modest kitchen her and James had designed together; neutral and convenient.

Hi Tracy, come quick, I’ve something to show you xx

She fired off the text. Lorraine had gotten home from work, a secretary for a soiicitor’s firm in Central Leeds. Michelle, who was Michelle? She knew Townsend and Taylors Solicitors very well, been there for years, was there a Michelle? Had there been?

Tracy came into the kitchen, Lorraine was whiter than usual, trembling. “What’s the matter Lorraine. Tell me, what’s up?”

Lorraine handed her the letter. “I got this and read as far as 23,” she cried, “I can’t read anymore!”

...I seen you numerous times these past few years, and I knew I had to say something. James is living in London with Michelle. I thought you should know. Signed P

Tracy continued to read the letter.

“Bastard!” Lorraine whispered through tears, “wait til I catch up with that bastard. I’ll show that bastard!”

Tracy hugged Lorraine for hours, days. Disbelief! She too would help Lorraine to get the bastard!

No comments:

Post a Comment