Tuesday 21 February 2017

Fate

Sally/Sharon Challenges

Write a 500 word story choosing the last line of a book as the first line of your story. 

Chosen book:
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
================================================
“Please,” she said again, holding on tightly, “Call me Catherine.”

Ben held onto Catherine, “Call me Ben,” he replied. He winced as he tried to heave Catherine from the bank. She began sobbing. “Don't let go.”

“I won't. Help me out here. Can you bring your feet up to get a grip on the grass?” He asked.

Catherine did as she was asked, but the bank was slippy. It was heavily rained throughout the night. Her feet slipped, again and again. The more she tried the faster she became, the muddier the bank got.

She sobbed, “I'm sorry.”

“Don't worry about this. Let's focus on helping you.” Ben steadied himself tucking his knees in. He was persistent. He was going to get this lady free.

“I'm sorry!”

“Let's concentrate on you getting free. Then you can treat me to breakfast.”

She smiled. “I haven't any money.”

“I have,” he smiled back.

“I came out for a jog and slipped. I cannot believe I was so stupid. I wasn’t concentrating. Too busy absorbed with the scenery I got too close to the edge.”

“Yes it is. I love walking Jasper around here, especially when the sun’s rising.” He was struggling now. He could feel his grip loosening, but he was determined. She was so beautiful. He saw her go over, rushed over as quickly as he could. Grabbed her. She screamed, but pleased with the sudden jolt.

“I know this cafe up on the hill. Does excellent breakfasts and coffee.”

“Yes my sister-in-law owns it, Jane’s Cafe. Not original is it?” She smiles. Ben smiled back. He looked quite handsome. “We could grab it for free?”

“Let's not worry about cost. You're making me hungry,” Ben leaned closer, tried to get his hand under her shoulders with his fingers digging into her armpits. She didn’t care. Without him she was a goner. He leaned in further, clenched his teeth and with all his strength pulled her, inch by inch, until she was able to grip onto the grass with her feet. She was then able to take small steps up the bank as he pulled.

It seemed like an eternity, but she was able to get out of his grip and crawl over the bank. She flopped on the grass. she needed to catch her breath. “Thank you very much,” she murmured

“No worries, I was glad to help. Are you ok?”

“Yes, just need to get my breath back.”

“If only I had a towel, you're a mess!” Ben said.

“I'll clean up at Jane’s.” She struggled to sit. It had taken the wind out of her, it was all a bit of a shock. Wiping her face with her sleeve she was able to see clearly. She saw this gorgeous face smiling towards her.

Ben stood up, help out his arm, “here, let's go and get this breakfast.”

Catherine took hold and slowly stood up. They stood inches from each other looking into each other’s eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment